Friday, November 9, 2007

Jane Cooper Dies

Poets.org - You can listen to her reading this poem:
If you want my apartment, sleep in it
but let's have a clear understanding:
the books are still free agents.

If the rocking chair's arms surround you
they can also let you go,
they can shape the air like a body.

I don't want your rent, I want
a radiance of attention
like the candle's flame when we eat,

I mean a kind of awe
attending the spaces between us---
Not a roof but a field of stars.

The NY Times obit

3 comments:

secretariat7 said...

I've read this before, her concept of a couple meeting without boundries is idealistic and interesting, but I think naive in the reality of human relationships.
If you think of it as just a freedom to have one's own opinions and thoughts and space it's a cool idea, but life is so much more complicated than that. JMO

Anonymous said...

It's nice to have the radiance, awe and stars from time to time - that's what makes the world go round!

secretariat7 said...

I agree, if there's one thing worth holding onto in this life, it's a sense of wonder and awe. Which makes me think one of my favorite Mary Oliver poems - I'll post it.

I thought Cooper was trying to share a feeling without "giving up her own space" so to speak, in this particular poem.